Simply preparing the environment and delivering meticulous Montessori lessons are not enough to cultivate independence in the form of self-awareness, self-directed learning, and self-regulation.
The words we use with students largely determine how they feel about themselves, their teachers, and the lessons presented.
We invite you to join Tanya Ryskind, Head of the NewGate School, and Jonathan Wolff, international Montessori consultant, and author, for a 7-session course on empowering teacher language.
Participants will learn how to identify less-than-effective instructional language and replace it with responses that enhance self-confidence, impulse control, and work engagement.
The course is designed along the lines of the Three Period Lesson, with opportunities for individual and group practice, as well as applied learning action-planning.
Each session will include time for teachers to share and receive support with current or chronic classroom challenges.
Dates and Times
January 24th, 31st Feb. 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th, and March 7th
Sundays 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM Eastern (11:00 AM - 12:30 PM Pacific)
Language that motivates independent work choice
Language that cultivates sustained, self-directed work
Language that promotes self-confidence
Language that fosters self-awareness and self-regulation
Language that nurtures kindness and empathy
Language that helps students identify and replace racial, cultural, and gender biases
Language that enables students to view mistakes as learning opportunities
Language that guides students to become fearless and imaginative problem-solvers
- 6 Instructional Habits of Effective Montessori Guides Teacher Language that Promotes Independence, Concentration, and Self-Regulation
- Weekly Zoom Link
- Discussion Questions #1
- Points of Inquiry for thinkific
- Discussion #2
- The Fly poem
- Video Recording
- Audio Recording
- Language of Empathy, week 2 video for viewing before Jan. 31
- Language of Empathy
- All You Who Sleep Tonight_poem by Vikram Seth
- Personal Reflection
- A Partner Exercise #1
- A Partner Exercise #2
- Assessing Over Empathic or Under Empathic Tendencies
- Reflective Listening 6 Listening Behaviors
- Language of Gratitude and Celebration
- Language of Self Improvement_week 4_2019.pptx.pdf
- Exercise I Mentoring
- Language of Mentoring
- Language of Personal Responsibility
- Language of Envisionment
- Personal Attachments Inventory Envision-cise